Are you the most organized person you know? Do your folders have folders? Do you love keeping projects on task and watching ideas turn into completed products? Do you dream of ways to make workflow more efficient? Is your favorite character on Brooklyn Nine Nine Detective Amy Santiago? Do you or would you love to live in San Diego? We want to meet you!
The Managing Editor is responsible for overseeing the editorial content production of Triathlete magazine and assists with the production of Triathlete.com. The Managing Editor plans, assigns, edits and writes content for Triathlete magazine and Triathlete.com under the direction of the Editor in Chief. The candidate should have a passion for exceptional editorial content and the fitness industry, and unparalleled attention to detail.
- Oversees content calendar and scheduling for Triathlete magazine and Triathlete.com
- Manages invoicing for Triathlete Magazine and Triathlete.com
- Assigns stories to freelance writers, photographers and contractors while staying within budget guidelines
- Writes, edits and copyedits stories for clarity, readability, interest, punctuation and grammar
- Travels as needed to conferences and races to stay abreast of industry trends
- Provides a deep knowledge of fitness, nutrition and training content
- Contributes as a strong team player to execute vision of Editor in Chief
- Bachelors or advanced degree in journalism or related field or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 5-10 years experience in similar role
- Experience working with outside contractor/freelancers in print and online environment
- Superior grammar, punctuation, style and spelling skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Experience with InDesign and InSite a plus
Work Environment: This job operates in a media/publishing setting.
Benefits package: Medical, dental, vision, 401k, unlimited vacation
Travel: This position requires some travel.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: This is a full-time position based on-site in San Diego, California. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to Erin Beresini, Editor-in-Chief, at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment reference check.
About Pocket Outdoor Media
Pocket Outdoor Media is publisher of the world’s leading voices in endurance sports. Pocket Outdoor Media brands include VeloNews, the authoritative voice of cycling; Triathlete, the world’s #1 triathlon resource; Women’s Running, the world’s largest women’s-specific running magazine; Competitor.com, the most trusted website for runners; and VeloPress, the world’s leading publisher of books about running, swimming, cycling and triathlon. Pocket Outdoor Media brands engage and influence more than 7 million endurance athletes every month. Pocket Outdoor Media is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado and has an office in San Diego, California. See more at pocketoutdoormedia.com.